Monday, August 11, 2014

Yoga Nurse essentials course

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when I bought the yoganurse.com "yoga essentials" course. My thoughts were "only 7 postures are taught" I thought that wouldn't be "enough" you see one of my biggest problems involve my desire to always question if things are "enough".... but i won't get into that right now. The point of this post is to express how thankful I am for the yoga essentials course. Its only been few days and I can already tell that this program is going to help me achieve great things. As I may have mentioned before, Ive been practicing yoga for about 2.5yrs now. I am a self taught student, as Ive only been to 2 live classes and 1 workshop. I learn best from books and videos are helpful too :) Anyways, since I can "stand on my head" and do fancy poses i thought I would be bored with the basic 7 postures. Well let me first say, all this time I have been practicing I have never taken the time to sit and practice pranayama (breathing)! I also rarely include savasana (resting pose), but in these few days I have down both pranayama and savasana more than I have ever done in my personal practice of almost two years! Listening to Annetes audio on breathing, I could not believe how light and calm I felt, it was almost like instant joy!. For the first time I could actually feel my breath travel up from my belly to my ribs and then up to my collarbone. It was magnificent!!!! As for the essential postures, so far Ive only practiced the sitting postures. Again, I thought I knew it all when it came to these basic poses and said to myself " i will just follow the video so I will know how to explain it" well, little did I know that I would learn, benefit, and experience the poses as well. For instance, I never noticed how tight and stiff my neck was, following Annettes careful instruction getting into and out of poses I became aware of my neck issues. Now, I don't have any deficits/pain/injury, but I do have anxiety and stress in my daily life (as we all do whether one will admit it or not). Im assuming my stress and anxiety is trapped right in my neck! This gives me hope, as I look forward to continuing on with the yoga essentials course, hopefully my neck tightness will resolve :) Remember to be a healer, caregiver, nurse, yoga teacher, holistic care practitioner, wellness nurse, holistic nurse, etc we must first care and heal ourselves. I am so thankful that I am learning to do just that! Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment